Saturday, June 19, 2010

getting relaxed to get the game face on






So yesterday, we had to fly our handicap. The handicap is what this race is based on. Each plane is handicap for the best performance speed, and if you fly over your handicap you are awarded points. If you fly under your handicap, you lose points, so a team can actually have negative points if they fly into a headwind. The first picture is of Suzanne flying the handicap flight. I was able to go along as we have a third member,for the weight. We also flew over the gulf, which is awesome because rivers and lakes are the only open water I have ever flown over. That is the second picture.

I feel it is important to feel relaxed before a big competition. Today was it. I had a blast, I totally forgot what it was like to be with such amazing woman, and how many new and old friends I have seen. We started off with going to the Sannabel Beach today, I found some awesome shells that I am sending back. Then we had our girl scout event, which was a bust we had two girls who came and they left within l5 minutes of starting the event. To hear everyone's amazing journey on how they started to fly, just amazes me. This is the biggest race, I have ever been in and one of the biggest race that ARC has put on. We have 113 women pilots and to think we are competitors but yet friends.

Tomorrow, we have an all-contestant meeting that is mandatory. Then I plan on hitting the beach for a bit, then we have a take-off banquet. Then we are off to a day of meetings on Monday, Sarah and Suzanne have an extra 2 hour meeting to be at, due to them being new racers. Tomorrow is also the day where the last team member Sarah comes, I am excited to meet her.

I have to say, this is the coolest hotel I have ever stayed in. Crown Plaza is so nice, I hate to even go home,lol. I am happy the BBQ was so much fun. I got to hang with the Mayor of Fort Myers, as he was asking me about the new baseball stadium in Omaha, and we got to discuss town issues. I am using this time as a networking tool as well. I have included a pic of me with the Mayor.